A searchable website is one that appears on the first one or two pages of relevant searches. This is achieved through the ranking of the website. The search engines use algorithms to rank websites. The higher a ranking a website, the more searchable it becomes and the more visitors it will attract. When it comes to getting a higher ranking the most common thing that is used is search engine optimization. This involves including many tools that raise the ranking of the website.
- Meta Tags – These are short description or title found on the pages of the website. They are usually limited to under 160 characters and should include some basic keywords within them to help them as they are searched.
- Title Tags – Similar to the meta tags these play a part in the indexing of a website. It is often the first thing that the search engine looks at. A simple keyword is a good idea for the title tag but too many could cause problems.
- Images with alt attributes – An image can help with SEO but if a short description is used with the image, it can help even more. The text should be relevant to the image. Search engines do not see the image, but they can recognize the description.
- Sitemaps – A site map is a section of the website that lists all of the different pages of the site. An XML sitemap can help with the indexing of the website on the search engine. It should include all the pages a priority of the pages and the date the pages were modified last.
- Relevant material – Adding content to a website can help build its search engine ranking. It makes sense to only add content that is related to the main purpose of the website. The content can include all of the things that make a site more searchable. Title tags meta tags and keywords can all be included in the relevant content.
- Links – Getting links to website from another site not only helps build traffic, it also helps improve the ranking on the search engine. Many people will take a shortcut and get links from anywhere they can, but this can be a mistake. If the links are in the form of spam, it can hurt the ranking. A professional in online marketing will know how to build the links that will help a website and not hurt it.
- Social Media – The power social media is not something that can or should be ignored. Building relationships with the many different social media websites is difficult and time consuming, but the rewards are plentiful. Websites can become connected to others through the social media websites.
Once a person starts to learn the different SEO techniques, they may think that it is simple to start adding them to their website. They will splash their website with keywords and meta tags. They will include lot so images with descriptions attached to them. They will build a network of links with any site they can find. They will do all of this without a plan and without much thought. They will think that the more they do, the higher their ranking will get.
Two rules of thumb here are investigate what people are typing in to find your products or service and secondly to create a page based on the results of this search. This way, you can be sure that the person looking for your product or service is going to land on a page that is about what they have typed into the search engine. And since they have found what they were looking for there is a higher chance of converting them and so getting a better ROI for the website.
It is possible to analyze the terms people use on the search engines to determine the difficulty of getting high search engine placements for these terms. Once these search terms have been identified it is important to ensure that a page on your website contains this text in certain important areas for search engine optimization purposes. However, it is vital that when someone navigates to that page they understand immediately the message you are trying to convey. This is our goal, to improve the websites ROI, the page must be about what the user has typed into to find you.
Whenever we build a website we always start with a text based site map. Studying what keyword phrases will bring people into the website and analyzing the relevance to our clients products or services. To further aid better ROI for the website, the focus is on ensuring that the pages that are built for these phrases are actually about that phrase. We do not want to fool anyone. It is all about bringing in targeted traffic to the website that want or have an interest in your product or service and when they arrive at that page there is a call to action on that page. Whether it is a telephone number, contact form or call back form.
This is not a difficult process and the reason for failing to get better website ROI is because of guesswork. Guessing what people are typing into the search engines is a big no.